Whether you’re a self-published or traditionally published author, you need to know what it takes to write a blurb. Your blurb along with your cover are the two things that readers see first and use to decide whether or not they are going to buy your book.
Most publishers want authors to write their own blurbs. After all, who knows your story better than you?
Here’s what you need to make sure your blurb makes the cut:
1. Keep it short. Some authors put too much information into their book blurbs and in this day and age of short attention spans, if you write too much into your blurb you’re going to lose readers. Your blurb should be between 100-200 words.
2. Be dramatic. Show your readers what the problem is the characters are facing and use words that are popular in your genre and that are descriptive.
3. Create a tag line that comes even before the blurb itself. This helps you to catch the reader’s attention. For example, In Regina Paul’s Through a Dark Mirror the tag line is, “Sometimes evil follows you from one life to the next.” This lets the reader know right away the story is a reincarnation story, and that something evil is going to be antagonizing the main characters.
4. Set the scene. Show your readers, where and when the story takes place. If it’s a science fiction story that takes place in another universe then make sure that info is part of your blurb.
5. Finish with a question or mystery. This will make the reader want to read your story so they can solve the mystery and answer the question themselves.
Crafting a stellar blurb is not difficult and if you keep these tips in mind when writing your blurb, you will craft a blurb that makes readers buy your book.
And here’s the perfect example of the stellar blurb, I wrote for the upcoming release of The Sex, Virtus Saga Book 1, in PRINT!
When Prince Duncan Caldwell loses his way home and knocks to get shelter, he doesn’t know his life is about to change forever. Not because he can’t tear his gaze away from the beautiful woman who opens that door. More because she’s a stranger, yet he can’t shake the feeling she belongs to him. And that’s just the beginning of the Virtus Saga, where nothing is as it seems, not since soul mates Prince Duncan Caldwell and Lord Christopher Templeton share a love that is unrivaled until that fateful knock on Ylianor Meyer’s dilapidated shack.
This book starts it all—the love and the passion, but also the fiery sex and the intricate three-way relationship. Mostly the unique connection laced with a jealousy and violence that are unknown to their world. Because this isn’t just another erotic dark fantasy series. This is the making of a trio. Of three remarkable characters that have to overcome their uncontrollable lust to face the truth about themselves and their planet, in order to defeat the darkness about to devour them. To be as one whilst three! That’s their real challenge. Because, if they can’t learn to share power and love in equal measures, how will they be able to ensure their world’s survival?
“Eroticism off the charts!” Romance at Heart
“Take the Sex Pledge!” AR – The Alternative Read
“I give it 4 stars. Between the amazing world building, plentiful sex, great characters, and well-developed plot, this book is the start of something special.” TRR rated it 4 Stars
“The Sex: Virtus Saga: Book 1 is the perfect read as it tantalizes, teases and creates great intrigue and explores the inner nature of humanity. Go and get your copy at eXtasy Books and enter into a new series of novels that will go far to open your mind.” Romance at Heart
“Ms. Tolomei has penned a riveting story that will take the reader through a myriad of emotions that range from anger to sorrow to unbridled passion. Any book that can accomplish such a feat is FREAK-IN-FANTASTIC in my opinion. The characters are well developed and three-dimensional, the dialogue is refreshing and bold, the emotions are raw and untamed, the world building is amazing and intriguing, and the sex is explosive and uninhibited. I simply couldn’t get enough of this well-crafted story and read it in one sitting.” Blackraven’s Reviews rated it 5 Stars
Hungry for more hot excerpts from The Sex?Here are a few more:Enjoy!!!!